Wednesday 5 November 2008

An Unexpected Political Comment!

Hi all, I know that this blog is actually not a political one and most (all?) of my posts have been related to education and the learning I'm doing in my master's course, but one important thing I've learned about blogging is that it is a very powerful tool that enables me, an insignificant Canadian, to add my voice to the many around the world who are commenting about yesterday's US Presidential election.

I'm a Canadian, so I really have no say and what I think probably doesn't matter all that much, especially to those in power. But I feel this overwhelming need to sincerely congratulate Barack Obama on his win, and strangely (because I disagree with Republican politics at the very core of my being) to commend Senator McCain for an amazingly honest and gracious speech after concedeing his loss. I was even impressed (maybe too strong?) with President Bush's speech. It was also quite gracious and for the first time in his presidency he seemed (to me anyway) to speak with heartfelt intelligence and sincerity.

I also want to congratulate the American citizens who are celebrating a great moment in History. For a country that prides itself on being "the most powerful country in the world" its been a long time coming and this election has certainly made an impression on the world.

To President-Elect Barack Obama: May you continue to make positive impacts in the world and maybe help usher in a new era of peace and understanding that will change our world for the better.

Also to the American people, from one insignificant Canadian: I thank you for voting, its truly the only way to excersice your democratic rights. Your vote did count.

Christine :)

No comments: